Tuesday, April 24, 2007

That'll teach me

Oh my. More plastic free eco-confessions:

On Saturday the Galumph bought two new shirts - both of which featured plastic buttons and those silly little plastic inserts which supposedly keep the collar points straight. Not really quite sure how we could have avoided that one, besides not buying the shirts, but he really did need some new ones for work. However, we did decline bags or tissue wrapping, and just bundled them straight into the pram, so points for that, ja?

He also got a new foil for his electric razor, which came - dum de dum dum - cased in plastic (and cost $50! Geeeeeez! He could have bought a whole new razor for that price!) Still, the old foil (which is the bit that sits above the blade) had so many holes in it that it was kinda shredding his face as he shaved, so we deemed the plastic a necessary evil. Much better than buying disposable razors or razor heads every other week, and much safer than letting old Parky Hands handle a straight edge razor blade. I don't even want to think about how many cuts he would suffer if he tried one of those - eeeeeew!

Enough of the Galumph's misdeeds - I have a confession of my own to make. I'd been trucking along nicely, not making too many mistakes, and then a friend rang yesterday and invited me out to the movies to see Becoming Jane. "Woo hoo!" I said, being a bit of an Anne Hathaway fan. But then we struck trouble - Galumph informed me that he had a meeting until 6, and so couldn't get home until 6:30, which meant I would miss the movie which started at 6:45.
So the movie was off. Until the Galumph emailed at 5:51 saying "Leaving now!"

"Bingo!" I hollered, and quickly got ready, listening the whole time for the ring of Galumph's bicycle bell, which would announce he was home. Listening, listening, listening, all the while watching as the minutes speeded by. Finally he arrived home at 6:20, I rushed out the door and headed for the tram stop. Where I proceeded to wait 10 minutes for the tram. Finally it arrived, I got off at the stop closest to the cinema, met my friend and we ran in, got our tickets (1 minute to go!) and decided to get a snack.

Now, I can tell you, after all that running and rushing, I was feeling a little parched. In the rush of things, I hadn't had any dinner, and forgot to pack my water bottle. And when I say parched, I mean the kind of dryness of the throat that results in your tongue semi-swelling up and obscuring your breathing passages. I needed a drink, but after scanning the drinks fridge realised that EVERY SINGLE BEVERAGE on offer came in plastic.

"I neeeb a dwink!" I dumb-tongued to my friend. "Bub day all cohm in pwastic, andb I'm meant to be pwastic fwree!"

"Bwahahahahah!" she said, which wasn't really useful at all. There wasn't even time to dash off to the loo to stick my head under the tap and gulp away, so I succumbed and purchased a Coke in a paper cup, with one of those plastic lids and a straw.

And the irony of it all? About 10 minutes into the movie I grabbed the drink, and somehow managed to dislodge the lid and spill most of it all over my pants. Grrrrrrr! I should have just asked for no lid, and been done with it. 'Tis hard to enjoy a romantic scene between that hunky smoldering James McAvoy and the lovely Anne when you feel like you've wet yourself. Thank heavens the cinema was dark so nobody could see me sitting in a puddle of environmental evil!

9 comments:

  1. Under the circumstances, I could excuse the plastic lid and straw...but drinking *coke*??

    How was Becoming Jane, btw? Was it worth a plastic misdeed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:00 pm

    You should have gone to the cinema my husband works at, he'd have whipped you up a cocktail in a glass!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:13 am

    Sometimes coke is the best, plastic or not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:30 am

    All is forgiven for the hilarious retelling of this tale!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Fairlie, I know, but it's a movie thing. Movie at the cinema = popcorn + coke. It's the only time I ever drink it, I swear!

    Although... it might be cocktails from now on, Nic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:09 am

    Your plastic free month is making for some fabulous blog entries! Congrats on your dedication -- you are inspiring :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:20 am

    I agree with Claire, I am just loving these posts - very inspirational, er apart from the sitting in wet pants bit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous3:52 pm

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pushies and trams.
    Geez, you were doing good already ;)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! Make my day!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.