Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Would I like a plastic bag? NO WAY!

They say that it takes 21 days to break a habit. With this in mind, I have decided to break my habit of using plastic. The funny thing is, I'm quite careful about not buying things in excess packaging, but having a look around this morning I noticed just how much of it there is in our house regardless. It's everywhere! In the fridge, in the laundry, in the cupboards, all of it ending up in the bin, much of it unable to be recycled. Enough! And it comes from fossil fuels, which are evil enough, not to mention running out (peak oil, anyone?). While I know that biofuels such as corn oil can now be used to make plastic, the thought makes me feel sick - growing corn for packaging whilst millions die every day of starvation. Talk about screwed up values.

So, for the next month, I pledge to buy nothing that comes in plastic. And if it only comes in plastic, then we don't purchase. Pretty simple. I know there will be some hiccups along the way (deodorant is going to be interesting!), but these challenges shall only serve to not only make life more interesting, but also to get me to use my noggin to think of ingenious solutions.

There is, however, a caveat: If no alternative can be found, and that is impacting on our health or hygiene needs (note the use of the word need there, not wants), then plastic is allowed. For example, if one of us falls quite ill, then I'm not going to deny us medicine that comes in a plastic bottle. That would just be silly. But for all the rest, it's plastic alternatives all the way! Hopefully, after my month of plastic-less living, the new habits will have stuck, and the old ones gone forever! Not only shall we be tv and car free, but plastic free as well. Woo hoo!

So, wish me luck! Any thoughts, tips or suggestions are, as always, more than welcome. Now I'm off to rejig my monthly menu plan to incorporate my new way of life. And so the fun begins!

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:55 pm

    What a woman. Yay for you! Now, I wonder if I could undertake such a thing? Let all us avid readers of your blog know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Join in! It only takes 21 days... and a bit of determination ;P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, great challenge! It's definitely made me think, especially about buying meat. I find the supermarket packaging of meat on styrofoam trays and wrapped in film really wasteful. But butchers use plastic too... Do you eat meat? Any ideas on that one?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Innernana, we very rarely eat meat, and almost never cook it at home, which does make life easier when it comes to avoiding plastic!

    However, I'm sure if you went down to your friendly neighbourhood butcher (a rare species, I know, but if you look carefully and quietly you might just spot one) with your own container, they might put your meat in that rather than in a plastic bag. I'd probably want to eat it that night, though. Worth a try!

    Or, you could always try going vegetarian for a week, nudge nudge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! No car, no tv, no plastic. I take my hat off to you, that is unbeleivable. I am inspired to try this plastic thing too. hmm. Im sure you'll find it pretty easy. You seem to be a very dedicated kind of person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm all for no TV and no car ( but I need the computer ! ), but plastic would be hard, you're right.

    You can buy those 'deoderant crystals'. They're like a big chunk of quartz and pretty easy to track down, not that I can remember where I see them now ...

    But yeah, don't be stinky - that's a NEED of others that have to be around you ;)

    Good luck - i'll be reading with interest, and great twinges of guilt no doubt....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:15 am

    wow,how inspiring! You've given me a lot to think about today! Especially as I have a zillion of those recycle bags and continuously forget to put them back in the car to take them to the supermarket! Reform is needed in this home!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done Jorth !!
    I might try this out today. You know they even seem to wrap magazines in plastic now don't they, to hold in that rubbish free item that comes with it ! - Julia x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous3:38 am

    This is so awesome! We're trying to do this too, although more gradually, not so cold-turkey (although cold-turkey may just be the better way to go). I'm so inspired to hear of others doing the same! Oh, and I make a monthly meal plan, too!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! Make my day!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.