Saturday, October 11, 2008

Back, but far less wise than before

Well, howdy there, folks! I'm am back, and as you see, still in one piece (albiet with four lovely, blood-oozing holes). Before I go any further, I'd just like to say a big thank you all so much for all your comfort, hugs and words of advice. It was really very much appreciated, and really helped calm down the freak out I was having! I'd email you all my thanks personally, but Blogger doesn't give out the email addresses of commenters. I need to investigate how to fix that.

The op went quite well, and I was home by 11:30 that morning, which was good. Being in hospital was absolutely no fun, but then again, when is it? Thankfully I was the first to go into theatre, so I didn't have too much waiting around to do. I had a bit of a reaction to the drugs, and got a bad case of the shakes as they brought me back around, but a good 20 minutes on the oxygen soon cleared that up.

The best bit was after complaining to the nurse about how I thought I was going to throw up or faint, wasn't quite sure of which, she quickly gave me a tiny wafer, and told me to dissolve it on my tongue. Instant nausea removal - it was fantastic. I lay there, trying to rack my brains and turn my delight into some sort of witty remark about it being one hell of a communion wafer, but alas, my brain wasn't working. Obviously, as my mouth wasn't working either, so even if I did make a joke no body would have understood it anyway, but would have gazed at me in horror as I lay there, pasty white, mumbling away with blood dribbling down my mouth. Charming!

So, I'm back home, and rather tired and sore, with heaps of bruising coming out now. But the bruising has nothing on the swelling - I currently look like this:

Which is rather unfortunate, as normally I look just like this:

Heh, heh!

Right, I've just a bit of lunch, so now I must do a light brush, salt rinse, another rinse featuring some sort of industrial mouth wash, then stick a syringe filled with salt water into the wounds and flush them out, and then top it all off with - you guessed it, another salt rinse. Joy.


  1. My goodness! I thought you were only going into hospital to have your wisdom teeth removed not to have some kind of freaky body hair attachment thing.
    You look pretty cute though with those big cheeks. :)

  2. Anonymous8:26 pm

    now should you really be eating nuts with the state of your mouth....... tee hee !!!! good to know you are on the mend , take care.

  3. Poor you. I know how you feel. Keep those salt rinses up and eat NO, and I mean NOOOO, rice.

  4. Anonymous4:31 pm

    Hi Jorth!
    so pleased to hear you are over the worst and got through the hossie bit smoothly. Love those chipmunk cheeks! I had the same - two out in the chair, each year for two years, half a chipmunk two Januaries in a row. Woo hoo! Some people don't swell at all. Freaky!

    As Katie said, do that saline swilling. VIP! I was a bit slack with one and got an infection.

    Yaaay you! YOu'll be back to your glamorous, Rachel Weisz lookalike self in no time!

  5. So pleased to hear it all went okay.
    Syringing sounds fun...

  6. Yeah, rinse rinse rinse!!! Happy healing! :p

  7. i'm glad that all went well. :) i empathize with the chipmunk cheeks--i have those as well, except i was born with mine, so they are rather permanent. oy vey.

  8. Glad the op went well. Those gaping holes in the gums are foul, I could never keep my tongue out of them.

  9. The odd tot of whisky will help too!


Leave a comment! Make my day!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.