Friday, September 29, 2006

Random things


- I went to a Medecins Sans Frontiers information session the other night, and one of the speakers had just come back from southern Sudan. Recently, Sudan has begun exporting oil (you can read more about it here), and are sending a lot of bulldozers out to build roads and set up infrastructure for the wells. The speaker told us that the bulldozers will just doze right through anything in the way - villages, houses etc and she even witnessed, to her horror, small children being crushed by the machinery because they didn't manage to get out of the way in time. I feel sick just thinking about it.

- On a much ligher note, I've started a regular thing of taking Grumbles out for a hot chocolate on a Friday. It's something I'd like to continue until she leaves home (ha, if she lets me!) - a bit of mum/daughter catch up time. I have romantic visions of picking her up from school in a few years time, and us happily gossiping away over steaming hot choccies, and then trundling off to meet the Galumph on his way home from work.

- I've also spent this week making myself a pair of pants, woo hoo! I'm using this pattern, and my goodness me it's coming up a treat! Hopefully I'll get it finished today, and some pics taken on the weekend. I'm particularly enamoured with the green polka dot lining I've done on the yoke. We all need some polka dots in our life, even if they are hidden away.

- I have absolutely no plans whatsoever to watch the Grand Final, and that's the way I like it! Glory in September indeed. Instead I think we'll take a stroll down Lygon St if the weather is nice and indulge in an icecream.

8 comments:

  1. Thankyou for the msf stuff. What we will do for oil Huh?

    grumbles is fortunate in her Ma. just think one day she will take you out for Choc!

    Am interested to see the Pants. Lower waist bands sit more comfortably on me, due to scars on my tum. ( bet you really wanted to know that!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. cheers to polka dots and no footy!! (raising glass motion here, preferably with large frosty pint)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:16 pm

    Me too, no Grand Final watching.
    Love the jeans and dotty top too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That oil story is very troubling.
    You are a fabulous Mum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Which fabric are you making the trousers in? I've saved that pattern. I really like the look of it.

    The hot chocolate thing is lovely. In the village next door we have a tiny "real hot-chocolate drink" cafe. I've never taken Charlie for fear he might go crazy with excitement. I bet Grumbles just sits there being delightfully demure.

    Stories such as the Sudan one are too upsetting for words. There is so much injustice in the world and so much of it is caused by the large organisations. It's pure wickedness. I mean, just look at what the large pharmaceutical companies get up to and nobody stops them, either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:07 am

    Do keep up the hot chocolate tradition - the timing will probably change over the years, but the idea and the drink probably won't. I do the same with my son - now 13 (where do the years go?). Every couple of weeks we go out for coffee and an apple pastry. It is such a special time, just the 2 of us. I hope we can keep it up for ever one way or another.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the pic of grumbles in the flowerbed, is she stuffing her pockets again???

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:06 pm

    It's not a romantic notion, it is a wonderful motherly vision. I love it! And we spent grand final day in the sun at the Open Range Zoo out at Werribee. There was seriously no-one out there and it was just fantastic, especially the new hippo part. Thoroughly recommend it. Especially on grand final day!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! Make my day!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.