Wednesday, August 01, 2007

I am a free loop back stitch virgin no more - huzzah!

After pushing it aside, and ramming it into the 'too hard' basket, and trying my best to ignore it, I finally realised that if I didn't get over my fear of the unknown, in this case doing the free loop back stitch attachment of the neckband to this top, then it would never ever be finished. I'd already blocked the darn thing, so there were no excuses left - it had to be done, and that was that.

So yesterday I sat down, needle at the ready, with nerves of jelly (what if I botched it up? What if the neckband unravelled uncontrollably and everything, including me, went to pieces? What if the neckband sat wrong, and looked stupid and crooked? What if the Russians actually do end up claiming the Arctic, and begin drilling for oil, thus destroying prisinte, untainted land for ever, and a new cold war eprupts as armed countries begin a fight forfuel resources? - oops, wrong issue) and began. And guess what?

It wasn't that bloody hard after all (of course).

Careful work, yes. Time consuming, yes. Utterly boring, and tempting to do only half and leave the rest to tomorrow, yes. But I stuck with it, and now the neck line is very neatly, and, if I do say so myself, quite adeptly sewn on. Hoorah! I'd show a pic, but the black wool photographs really badly in my dark, dim house, so you get a picture of two more dolls made over the weekend instead.

But before I bless you retinas with the pic, I'd like to give a big shout out to Becky, for without her excellent free loop back stitch tutorial I'd have been utterly lost, and damned to a lifetime of neckband avoidance. Thanks, Rabbit!

Ok, ok, the dolls - sheesh!

5 comments:

  1. Cute dolls. Congrats on conquering your fear. I look forward to seeing the finished top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:27 pm

    Such luurvley dolls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohmy. the cuteness factor is off the charts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous dolls.

    That free loop back stitch thingy sounds waaaaay too complex for me to even think about. I'm strictly a plain and/or stocking stitch kind of knitter. Even sewing finished items up with your standard in and out sewing bores me...hence i have two beanies knitted, but not yet sewn, just lying around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look very cute and I bet now youve mastered the stitch you'll be churning them out!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! Make my day!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.