Monday, October 27, 2014

Pattern Review: Simplicity 1651

So the first summer dress of the season is finished! I've wanted to make up this pattern for absolute yonks, and when I saw the Kaffe Fassett Lotus print in GJ's I knew that the perfect fabric had finally come my way!


Lotus Dress #1

There are a few things that I quite like about this dress - it feels very sun smart, with the mostly covered bodice, and high back neckline. It's also got a 1940s vibe that I am really digging at the moment, especially with the cute double cap sleeves and bodice detailing. And it has a skirt that is perfect for swirling in. Not that I get many opportunities to swirl, but I like to be prepared in case a good, grade A swirl is suddenly called for. And you never know when that might occur!


The design features a side zipper, which I'd never actually done before. I approached the zip with some little trepidation, but it went in as easy as pie - phew! My secret is to always baste in my zips these days, and it really does make a different. The old stitch in time saves nine certainly rings true in that regard.


The only quibble I have is that the dress has turned out a tad more demure than I wanted. The cover illustrations make it look rather sassy, but my version seems determined to be well behaved and not bring any shame upon the family etc etc. Which is nice enough in it's way, but sometimes when you have your heart set on sass, you want SASS, BABY!


Not to worry - there's plenty more summer dresses with a pretty high sass factor coming along! Oh, and I've just noticed on the back of the pattern envelope that light weight double knits are amongst the recommended fabrics. Could be a winter version with long sleeves in the pipeline for winter, methinks!


Lotus Dress #2

Project Details
Pattern - Simplicity 1651, Bodice Front View B, Bodice Back View C, Flared Skirt
Fabric - 3.5m of Kaffe Fasset Lotus print from GJ's Discount Fabrics
Notions - 35cm invisible zipper

14 comments:

  1. Gorgeous!!! What a SASSY babe!!! I love the print and the twist on the bodice is fabulous!

    Can't wait for our sewing date and to see this bad boy up close! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:46 pm

    I really love the neckline of this dress and have been tempted by this pattern many times. It looks really nice on, I don't think it is demure at all, although you could always shorten it to sass it up some more

    ReplyDelete
  3. Demure? I suppose you are referring to the cut or something, because, to me, the general look is that of a speck of sizzling rainbow against a sky of grey! Hardly demure, but an oh so beautiful eyecatcher :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! And it really suits you. I agree with busylizzie, a fraction off the length might make all the difference though it looks plenty sassy to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wouldn't change a thing. The neckline is very classy and I'm sure you've just sent up sales of this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dang this is a sassy frock! The fabric makes this feature panel pop- I love it! If you want to sass it up you could shorten the skirt length a little?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally gorgeous dress. Love the fabric - suits you beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That dress is cute! It looks really nice on you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is gorgeous!! Love that fabric! And what a fun pattern! All I'm seeing is sass from this side of the screen!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So pretty! Great colors on ya.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've somehow managed to miss all you posts lately. This is another adorable summer dress. WHAT a cute design. I don't find it demure at all, just fun and flirty. The colors are gorgeous on you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. really nice job you did here. the color and the shape of this dress fits you beautifully. you are among my 10 favorite sewing projects in 2014
    http://en.inthemoodforcouture.com/10-lovely-outfits-sewn-2014/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gotta love those Kaffe Fassett fabrics!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! Make my day!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.