Monday, May 14, 2007

I'm green on the inside (of my lungs)

It's not easy being green. Especially when you are sick. It's easy enough to cough up green stuff, but sticking to your plastic free diet - um, yeah. It kinda went out the window. Since Galumph was in charge of the shopping, we completely fell off the wagon. The litany of sins is horrendous - juice in plastic, cheese in plastic, bread in plastic... yikes!

And I was in no position to argue. I spent most of last week lying in bed, half-heartedly trying to read Emma (not bad for bed-ridden reading, actually, which I'm sure all those Janeites just love hearing) and contemplating various ways of wrecking revenge upon whoever gave this nasty bug to me. The last was completely pointless, by the way, as it appears that I'm the only I know who has it. Boo hoo.

Still, I felt sufficiently recovered yesterday to head out for a Mother's Day lunch of Yum Cha (organised for the Mothershipinlaw, not me, more boo hoos) where I drank a lot of tea and consumed not much else.

Still, plastic free shall continue - I decree it to be so from this moment onwards! And if this piece of information redeems me at all, then I offer it up freely - I spent the entire week blowing my nose on pieces of recycled non-bleached toilet paper. Hooooonk!

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:26 am

    I'm so sorry you are sick! Please get well soon. Is Yum Cha like dim sum, where they bring you endless little dishes of Chinese goodies and you pick what you want? It looks like a jolly way to celebrate Mothers Day, which is still happening here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dana,

    Sounds about right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, your poor nose...hope you've got an industrial-sized (non-plastic) container of lanolin or similar to deal with the after-effects of the recycled non-bleached toilet paper!

    Hope you're feeling 100% soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:25 pm

    I'm with you, laying on the sofa blowing my nose with recycled toilet paper. I'm seriously considering buying some super soft kleenex, my nose is getting sore :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ouch, sore nose. Sounds like you might need some Aloe vera!
    Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:50 pm

    Hope you're feeling better.

    I find ye old fashioned hankie kinder on the nose than tissues, and most definitely kinder than toilet paper. But only nice fine cotton ones. I have some lovely old ones of my nans. It was hard to get past the ick factor, but I soak them in nappy soak (enviro version?)wash, line dry and iron. I know ironing is weird, but it is hygenic and makes them nicer to use. In emergencies, I've also been known to use squares of old shirt material or t-shirt. TMI?

    Anyway, hope full recovery is imminent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:19 pm

    Are you okay? I have been missing your entries. Here's hoping you and your family are not sick but doing something hilarious or highly energetic, like usual.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous5:20 pm

    hullo
    found your blog via auntie cookie, which I found via jenleheny, which I found via etc etc etc...
    anyway, it's great - your posts are fun and your projects inspiring.
    hope you are feeling better. am also stuck at home with the lurgy, so I sympathise on the green lungs bit. Doc says there's a virus going around. Am worried that I"m starting to enjoy staying home and looking at craft blogs in between
    sleeping and knitting TOO MUCH. Alas, am not a SAHM, I'm a GTWS (go to work single!), to which you could add WNR (with new relationship) to which you could add BHLWIL (but how long will it last). So where are we now? GTWSWNRBHLWIL. NOt got the same ring to it as SAHM...
    cheers and look forward to reading of latest adventures and recovery

    MJ
    PS has anyone caught onto The Mammals, a US alt.country group. SAw them at port fairy and man, they rock! Got them on the cdspinner at present. Lifting the mood as I type and listen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just found your blog via the pattern review swap, and have really enjoyed reading all your back posts! Looking forward to seeing the rest of your swap.

    Sorry to hear about you being sick, I also vote for soft hankies! In terms of hygine, you can't get your cold more than once, and as long as no one else is playing with your hankies they shouldn't get infected (unless you touch them and they don't wash their hands!)

    Hope you feel bettern soon!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! Make my day!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.