Four sheets to the wind (or a striped, nautical style top!)

Striped Top

I'm totally feeling the nautical vibe this summer, and as soon as I saw this pattern in the 2/2010 Burda Magazine, I knew this top had to be made. In fact, I may* have even uttered a little "Arrrrrr! That top will be better than a frigate off the starboard side with all canon's a-firing!"**

So shiver me timbers, I whipped it up before a sewing mutiny could occur, and I was forced to walk the overlocker plank.

What? Me hearties want the gory details? Well, all hands to deck and set yer sails: here are the deets before you get your fishing lines knickers in a sailor's knot:

Project Details
Pattern: Striped Top from Burda Magazine 2/2010
Fabric: Jersey knit from Tessuti Fabrics

This was a very quick and easy top to sew together. I did add some pleats to the sleeve raglan edge, and this made the neckline fit much better. I made it up in size 34, and didn't add any of the side seam allowances as I find the Burda cut can be a little on the generous side, and I wanted a nice, fitted style top.

*Any excuse to do a crusty old pirate voice!
**Actually, I think most things are better than that particular situation.
***Many thanks to dear husband and all his years of reading/watching Hornblower for the ship shape navy terms.

dee  – (8:24 pm)  

i like it, very cute!

Fer  – (8:28 pm)  

Suits your figure perfectly!

Rachel  – (8:42 pm)  

Verrrry cute (that's my effort at sailor speak - you can just add a few rrrs can't you?).

It fits perfectly.

Tania  – (10:19 pm)  

I'm a bit worried about just how convincing that crusty old pirate voice sounds. But the top is fabulous...

Kat  – (10:23 pm)  

Its lovley, and fits really well! It would look swell made up in navy!

MushyWear  – (5:11 am)  

What a perfect fit and so adorable with the stripes. Fun!

Kat  – (8:10 am)  

That looks fantastic! You could even make the sleeves shorter and make some lovely versions for summer. I need to find me a pattern for a top like this one.

sownbrooklyn  – (9:51 am)  

VERY cute!! And what cute photos of you in it!

Marina  – (1:08 pm)  

Great top and you look fabulous in it. Full marks for that very flexible pose!

tanitisis  – (1:54 pm)  

It's lovely! I am severely tempted... (and wishing I had a Burda subscription)

Love the blog, by the way. Your writing is delicious!

Rūta  – (10:58 pm)  

The blouse is very nice and red suits you perfectly!

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! Make my day!

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009