Mad Men Challenge: A floral Betty dress

As soon as the marvellous Julia Bobbin announced her Mad Men sewing challenge was open, I knew that I had to absolutely, totally enter! The purpose of the challenge is to find a character who inspires you fashion-wise on Mad Men, and create a garment using them as inspiration. You could try and replicate a costume exactly, or just use their style as a loose guide - it is open to interpretation, as long as the vintage-y fabulousness of Mad Men style is paid homage to.

I had no doubt about who's style I wanted to emulate. For me there will only ever be one Mad Men gal who's frock I covet, and that is Betty. Yup, I can't go past Betty Draper Francis in full Jackie Kennedy glamour mode, and she rocks a floral print like nobody else.

Betty5

So I dove into my stash, found some perfectly Betty bloom printed cotton sateen and got sewing. The fabric was the easy part - it was choosing the pattern that gave me some grief. I was spoilt for choice, being in possession of quite a few vintage patterns, but was limited by only having 1.8m of fabric.

In the end I went with a modern pattern with a definite vintage feel: Simplicity 1873. Betty does love a full skirt, and the cute side tabs with buttons gave it a late 50's sliding into the 60's vibe that I just couldn't go past.

Look at the floral print! Adds a hint of warmth to a cold-hearted gal. Look at the prim and proper silhouette! Her life may be a mess but her dress is just the thing!

Big big big thanks to Julia for running this sew-a-long. I can't wait to see what everybody else come up with!

Betty1


Betty2


Betty3


Betty4

Project Details
Pattern: Simplicity 1873 (Cynthia Rowley)
Fabric: 1.8m printed cotton stretch sateen from Clegs
Notions: 55cm invisible zipper, lining, interfacing

Ok, so now I have the dress. If only I could have her hair, cheekbones and pearls as well!

Kate  – (2:31 pm)  

That is a great version of that pattern!

EmeraldErin  – (2:55 pm)  

This is SO gorgeous! I'm a huge Betty fan myself, and I think that you did your inspiration justice! It looks great on you- so nice for spring!!

Julia Bobbin  – (8:26 pm)  

Could you and this dress be any more freaking perfect! I love it so much it HURTS! And I've seen this beautiful creation in 'person' so I know just how gorgeous it is. LOVE!

Amanda  – (9:20 pm)  

Oh. Wow.
Lovely, this is spectacular! Total Betty floral and hair combo!

Amanda S.  – (11:32 pm)  

Beautiful! Betty is my favorite too.

oona balloona  – (12:35 am)  

yummmmmmmmm. you don't need any of miss betty's body parts, you stunner.

Gail  – (7:45 am)  

Great dress, but where is your cigarette?

Gail  – (7:45 am)  

Great dress, but where is your cigarette?

sarahp  – (9:30 am)  

You do rock a floral print very well :)

WinnibriggsHouse  – (6:18 pm)  

You and that dress look fabulous!

gingermakes  – (9:50 am)  

Super duper adorable! Love it!

busylizzieinbrizzy.com  – (5:04 pm)  

So pretty! I am loving that fabric too - just stunning

Melody Murdock  – (3:38 pm)  

beautiful dress your floral is delicious!

Sue @ A Colourful Canvas  – (2:12 am)  

Ah, such an adorable dress for you! I love the floral you chose! It perfectly suits the pattern...and speaking of the pattern; I have this one, and it's fantastic! You look lovely! :)

Linda Lowe  – (12:32 am)  

Your dress is gorgeous! I'm inspired to make one for myself!

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! Make my day!

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009