Friday, July 17, 2020

Sassy red Vogue 8949

Sometimes, it all falls to pieces. You buy the beautiful fabric in London, drag it all the way home to Melbourne with you, let it sit in the stash for 2 years, then when you cut out the dress you have decided on, you balls it up and forget to cut 4 pieces, and instead cut 2.

Yep! I can be THAT stupid sometimes!

Thankfully, I have a golden rule: Never fart on Mum. I also have a good rule for sewing: Never throw away your scraps until the project is completed. So when I found I only cut 2 of the side skirt sections, instead of 4, I was able to find the scraps, locate a long skinny piece and then cut a thinner version of the pattern piece out. Admittedly, my skirt isn't as full as it should be, but I think it worked out just fine (and thank goodness for scraps!)

Apart from that daft mishap, I'm pretty chuffed with how this dress turned out! And I am beyond grateful to those scraps forever, because (a) I'm pretty sure the store wouldn't have any left and (b) can you imagine the shipping charges to Australia? *shudders*


Vogue8949#8


Vogue8949#3


Once I got over Skirt-Mishap-Gate, and got to the try on stage, I was met with a rude shock. This dress looked frumpy. Normally I wouldn't choose a pattern with such a high waist for a reason - it does NOTHING for my figure, and that was becoming painfully true and I stared aghast in the mirror, and the minutes ticked by. So I did what any sensible sewist would do in my place: I grabbed my pins and pulled the hem up hugely! So now, rather than being Frump Central, the dress has a cool groovy Mod Style look with it's super short skirt! I find when confronted with frump, short skirts are usually the way to go! And to be completely honest with you, I like the dress much better this way!


Vogue8949#1



So apart from cutting the skirt out wrong then giving it the haircut of a lifetime, I didn't make any other adjustments to this pattern. The fabric is a beautiful textured wool, and whilst it feels heavy when you initially put it on, it makes up for it by being deliciously warm! It's perfect for work, and I had loads of compliments when I wore it, from both fellow staff members and patients! As I'm a complete sucker for a compliment on my hand made wardrobe, you can just imagine how that made my day.

So all in all I call this dress a win, although it was a near thing at one stage!


Vogue8949#9



Vogue8949#11


Vogue8949#12


Project Details:
Pattern - Vogue 8949, view D
Fabric - Wool from Misan Fabrics
Notions - Lining, interfacing, invisible zip

9 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous dress! I love the colour and the length really works. It feels like everyone is dressed so casually at the moment that this feels like a lovely breath of fresh air :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dress looks fabulous on you! Love the mod look and the red!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a Beautiful dress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the dress!! Tell us what method do you use to ensure the seams match up perfectly, when you install an invisible zip?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tanya!

      I baste my zip in to ensure all my seams match up perfectly! It's a bit of work, but always worth it. For this project I also used my walking foot, as the fabric was thick, and that helped with the other seam matching.

      Delete
  5. The looks so beautiful. I love the groovy mod style, but also, the fabric choice is perfect and your sewing is impeccable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The dress is gorgeous! So are you. Enough said.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done , a great combination of colour and style.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is fab, and I’m with you on reversing the frump factor - short short short!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! Make my day!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.