Friday, June 07, 2019

Simplicity 8014 Shirt dress

Give me an S! ESS! Give me a H! HAITCH! Give me an I! EYE! Give me a... oh dear, this is going to take all day. Quick, say it with me now: GIVE ME A SHIRT DRESS! YEAH!


Shirt Dress 03


I have wanted to make a shirt dress for years. Yes, literally years. But the perfect pattern always eluded me, despite extensive searching. The problem is, most shirt dresses come with a pointed collar, which I don't like. I don't like how they look on me, I don't like how they remind me of school shirts, and I especially don't like how they remind me of years of crappy jobs where you had to wear one of those shirts as part of a uniform. Shuddering in horror here at the memories.

But shirts with band collars? That I do like. Shirt dress patterns with band collars? Come over here, and let me buy you a drink! Or even better - let me sew you up!


Shirt Dress 04



I went for the band collar, full skirt and long sleeve option on this pattern, after finding the most amazing fabric from The Fabric Store. It's a heavy weight cotton, which I was really excited about, as it would be provide me with the warm I need and also give the skirt some desired fullness. I pretty much stuck to the pattern as was, with the only alterations being taking the sleeves seam allowances in by 1cm (I also like skinny sleeves) and doing a faux cuff on the sleeves, rather than a real cuff. I knew I wouldn't ever roll the sleeves up (see warmth requirements, above) and I just couldn't be bothered faffing about making a true cuff. So I cheated!

I also added some topstitching on the button band, sleeve seams and the cuffs. I am a sucker for how topstitching makes a garment look so much more tailored, and it really suits the look of this dress.

The fit on this is great - nicely cinched in at the waist, and beautifully fitted across the shoulders. If you like a good, tailored fit, you can't go past this pattern. Would I sew it again - if the right fabric crosses my path, I would certainly consider it! Now give me an S for Super Stylish Shirt Dress! Woo hoo!


Shirt Dress 01


Shirt Dress 08


Project Details
Pattern: Simplicity 8014, View A with band collar
Fabric: 3m cotton from The Fabric Store
Notions: 17 buttons, interfacing


3 comments:

  1. Such vibrant fabric - love those pops of pink for some brightness in winter ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! Love the fabric, the pattern and the styling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks super lovely. U sold me this pattern.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! Make my day!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.