Monday, June 15, 2015

Vintage Simplicity Red Cape

A while ago I decided that if one thing was going to happen this year, then that thing would be making Tyger a winter coat. I've always wanted to make her one, and she herself has always gone sportingly along with the notion, so we sat together one day in cosy happiness and began to trawl the internet for coat patterns.

We looked here, we looked there. In fact, I found myself googling ever stranger combinations, trying to find a coat pattern that we both agreed on, but Tyger was determined - once she had set her eyes on Simplicity 8072, it was vintage cape or bust, and no amount of cooing over Burda patterns from Mum was going to change her mind.

Look, I can't deny that the kid has style. I mean, this cape is so cute that I want one - but wouldn't her poor little arms get cold?

Red Cape #3

Cold arms, pswah! Stopping short of telling me to turn off my inner mummy-monologue about goosebumps, she fixed me with a look that said "Let's make a deal - you can fulfil your coat dream, and I'll get the coat OF my dreams!"

So I gave in. And bought some red cashmere/wool coating and away we went.

And really, I should have trusted her style judgement after all, because she looks pretty darn snazzy in it - with no cold arm complaints to be heard!

Red Cape #2

Red Cape #1

Project Details
Pattern: Vintage Simplicity 8072, view 2 (published 1968)
Size: 10 (girls)
Materials: 2 meters wool/cashmere coating from Clegs, 2 meters lining
Notions: 8 buttons from Woolarium

I must say, I really did enjoy making this. The pattern was full of great information, more so than modern patterns. I did do a few tweaks here and there, like using iron-on interfacing, which I don't think they had in 1968, but I mostly stuck to the script. There was a LOT of handsewing involved in this, but I didn't mind it. In fact, it was quite meditative, even if it did chew up gallons of time.

It's inspired me to get some more vintage patterns out from my stash and give them a go, plus who can go past this vintage style? Not me - I'm a sucker for all things 1950s and 60s!

Monday, June 08, 2015

Rustling Leaves Beret

What did you do with your long weekend? I spent it knitting a gorgeously leaf-patterned beret, and scarfing home made eclairs made by Galumph and Tyger! Excellent weekend all around, I'd say!


I knitted this beret for the Woolarium Beanie Fest, which has entries open now. The theme is "New Beginnings", and as soon as I saw this pattern I knew it was the one I had to knit! The pattern was perfectly written, making it very easy to follow. I'll admit, it wasn't exactly 'zone-out-in-front-of-the-tv' knitting, but it wasn't crazy difficult either. My brim has turned out a little bit loose, so I think I'll thread some fine elastic through it, but apart from that it's perfect!

Project Details
Pattern: Rustling Leaves Beret by Alana Dakos
Yarn: 1 skein of Spud and Chloe Fine in 'Cricket' #7804
Needles: 2.75mm and 3.25mm
Ravelried here.