Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Pattern review: Vogue 1314

What with the knitting, and trying to make most of Tyger's clothes, and beavering away at Handmaker's Factory, I haven't had much of a chance to make things for myself this winter, especially at the sewing machine. But I did sneak in this dress last week. May I present my version of Vogue 1314:

Blue Leopard

As soon as I saw this pattern I said to myself "Jorthy, old girl, this has your name written all over it!" It was really easy to make - just like a giant t-shirt, but with some gathers. And speaking of gathers, I cheated and did it my way, rather than how the pattern instructed me to, by using elastic on the side seams. Eeeeeeasy!

The only thing I don't like about this dress is how stretchy the fabric is. I used a viscose knit, which is quite thin, and as a result my gathers tend to sag a bit. I really should have made the next size down to prevent this, but it was one of those things that you don't realise until you have finished and tried the darn dress on. Judging by what a few other bloggers have said, the fit on this dress tends to err on the generous size. If only I'd researched before I'd sewn. Gah!

I also didn't line my dress. Shhh! Don't tell anybody! Even though the fabric is thin, it's not sheer, so I decided not to bother. I also did a t-shirt style neckline binding, just cause I could. What a rebel I am!

Apart from that it's super comfy, easy to wear and hey - I've always wanted an animal print dress! Roar!

Project Details
Pattern: Vogue 1314, size 8
Fabric: 2m of viscose print from The Fabric Store
Notions: 1cm wide elastic



6 comments:

  1. Really like it, great fabric.

    I have some thicker stretch fabric, of unknown origin. I wonder if it would work with this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jorth, that dress looks great! And I'm jealous of anyone with access to The Fabric Store. I found your blog this morning looking for reviews of Simplicity 2843 pattern. I just went out and bought fabric for a Laura Ingalls Wilder dress for my eight year old. I love what I've seen on your blog and look forward to reading along with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great dress. Elastic at the sides is probably a better method as it will reduce chances of it stretching out of shape.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You totally had me at blue leopard- this is so flattering on you- nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love this! gorgeous print + pattern combo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is all kinds of fierce! Sweet sweet gathers + blue leopard print = awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! Make my day!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.