Thursday, August 15, 2013

Crafting and sanity


Cutting Table

There are a few things that are vital to keep my mental health in a happy, balanced state. Enough sleep, a walk every day in the fresh air no matter what the weather is, not watching television with it's blaring exhortations to buy more and more because you are not good enough as you are, and regularly servings of good wholesome food.

So far, so typical. But to that list I might add a regular dose of making. I seriously think that I would be a far grumpier person without the lift that crafting gives me. Even if I don't get my hands involved in cutting something out, or winding yarn through my fingers, just the thinking - the planning, the dreaming - is often enough to lift me out of any doldrums. Heck, you can make me happy just by insisting I peruse vintage patterns on Etsy for a while!

I'm not sure if it's the pretty colours of the fabric and yarn, or the quiet focus on a solitary activity, or the visualisation of a finished project, or the satisfied buzz of achievement when something is finally completed, but crafting can often fill a hole for me that nothing else can.

I'm so lucky to be able to make. Good times will come and go, and every life will have it's fair share of sorrow and suffering, but it comforts me to know that I'll always have a pair of knitting needles and a sewing machine to hand to give me relief when it all feels like too much to bear.

8 comments:

  1. I just wrote a brief post about how I think knitting has taught me patience. I definitely agree with you though - crafting is just part of my life, I think I would feel empty without it. What on earth would I do with my time??

    That fabric looks gorg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too find that sewing keeps me same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you have perfectly summed up exactly how I feel about sewing and knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know just how you feel. I'm the same way. And I like the way you described your issue with television; you articulated my own feelings about it so well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:00 pm

    I think it uses a part of your brain that is like a puppy: sleepy and sad when abandoned, and overly excited when it gets attention.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! Make my day!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.