Monday, October 08, 2012

Rhubarb, apple and blood orange compote

Rhubarb

Blood orange

Rhubarb Compote


In my constant bid to get more fruit into my diet, I am continually experimenting with quick and easy fruit recipes, and this has to be the winner so far. It's like eating the most delicious pie filling ever,  without the pastry guilt. And yes, I have been known to gobble up an apple and custard danish in my time, and brazenly call it one of my 7-a-day, which, even I can admit, is really stretching the concept. So for somebody like me, who can look at a platter of fresh fruit with an indifferent shoulder shrug and a "Meh!", a recipe that not only will get me eating fruit but actively look forward to it has to be a very, very good thing.

What - I've finally found a fruit dish I like and you want me to share it with you? Allright, allright, but only the recipe, mind!

Rhubarb, apple and blood orange compote

1 bunch rhubarb, stalks trimmed, cut into 4cm pieces
3 Granny Smith apples, peeled and diced
juice of 1 blood orange
2 tablespoons white caster sugar

1 - Place rhubarb, apples, orange juice and caster sugar into a pan with 1/2 cup water.

2 - Bring to the boil, then simmer, covered, for 4 minutes, or until the fruit is tender.

Serve with yoghurt as a snack, or on top of cereal in the morning. That's if there is any left...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! Make my day!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.