Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Asparagus time


"Yippeeyiyay!" carolled Jorth as she cake walked down the street, interspersing the dance with a few shimmies and two-steps as the mood struck.

A couple of passersby stood and watched her progress. "What the heck is up with that crazy lady today?" asked one, to which the other replied "Oh, don't you mind her and her wacky ways - she's just found out that asparagus has appeared back in the shops."

Asparagus

That reminds me of the old joke: One day two asparagus stalks were walking together down the street. They were just stepping off the footpath onto the road when a speeding car came around the corner and ran one of them over.

The uninjured asparagus stalk called 000, and pretty soon an ambulance came to take the injured stalk to the hospital, where he was rushed into surgery whilst his friend waited anxiously.

After a long and agonizing wait, the doctor finally appeared. He told the uninjured asparagus stalk, "I have good news, and I have bad news. The good news is that your friend is going to pull through."
"Hooray!" said the stalk. "But what's the bad news, Doc?"

"Well, I'm afraid the bad news is that he's going to be a vegetable for the rest of his life".
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh dear. Don't mind me - I think I have a bad case of spring fever! But how good does that asparagus look? I've been waiting ages for it to come back. Now the big decision is how to cook it... with scrambled eggs, in a tart, simply steamed, grilled on the hot place, in a risotto...decisions, decisions...

5 comments:

  1. oo my favorite is baked along with some roasted garlic, olive oil and good parmesan cheese. Happy asparagussing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. asparagus/strawberry/almond/balsamic salad.... you won't be sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha ha! That's a cute joke! We just had asparagus last night, in a desperate attempt to get my toddler to eat and find a new favorite food. No such luck!

    -Ash P
    http://distractedashley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:15 am

    I'm with you, love love love asparagus.

    I make asparagus pizza http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2010/05/shaved-asparagus-pizza/ using my own pizza dough and a pizza stone. Sooo good and really easy.

    I like to roast them and serve with balsamic. Often I just wrap them in a damp paper towel and microwave for a couple of minutes and eat them plain. Enjoy the spring goodness.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! Make my day!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.