Friday, November 04, 2011

What's for dinner: Red Lentil and Potato Dahl

I've been thinking for a while now that I might turn Fridays into a blog recipe day. Whaddya all think? I love food - I love eating it, talking about it, reading about it... in fact the first section of the newsagency that I gravitate to is always the food mag part. It's only when I've had a really good peruse there that I wander over to the craft section to see if the new BurdaStyle is in! So I thought that I might share what I've been cooking of late with you. Let me know if you find anything tasty!

As a family we rarely eat meat, so they will always be vegetarian recipes. I hope you don't mind. Let's kickstart it off with today's offering: Red Lentil and Potato Dahl.

Red Lentil and Potato Dahl

This is a great recipe for when the bank balance is looking rather feeble, as it's super budget friendly. It's also good for feeding a crowd, as you'll get at least 6 serves out of it. So if friends drop around unexpectedly with hungry tummies and imploring looks, don't fret - just welcome them warmly and say "Darl! We're having dahl - do come in!"

Ingredients
1 brown onion, roughly chopped
1 tbsp olive or vegetable oil
2 heaped tablespoons of your favourite curry paste or powder (or more if you really like a spicy kick)
3 potatoes, peeled and diced into 1cm pieces
2 cups red lentils, washed and picked over
800g tin crushed tomatoes
3 cups water or vegetable stock
3 big handfuls of spinach leaves, washed well

1 - Heat oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Cook onion until softened. Add the curry paste/powder, and cook for another two minutes, stirring.
2 - Add the potatoes, stirring so they are covered with the paste mix.
3 - Add the lentils, tomatoes and water/stock. Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally so the lentils don't stick to the bottom of the pan.
4 - Reduce to a simmer and cover, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes. If it seems too thick, add some more water - lentils can sometimes need more if they are a bit older.
5 - Take off cover, and simmer for another 5 or so minute, or until the lentils and potatoes are cooked until tender. Stir in the spinach until it is wilted, then serve.

This is great served with naan bread or chapattis, and having a mango lassi on hand really makes it go down a treat. Don't be too fussed about which curry powder or paste you use - if you have a favourite then by all means stick with it.  I personally have found that this dish tastes equally good using any curry paste I've had kicking around. I've made with with fresh red and green pastes, and also with good ol' Keen's Curry Powder, and it's always tasted pretty darn good.

Hope you enjoy it, and that you have a superb weekend.

9 comments:

  1. Yum yum yum. Always willing to try a new dhal recipe.

    A recipe each Friday sounds fantstic. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love food and I'm looking forward to your recipes as I like to try dishes from all over the world.

    This one looks yummy. Next time I'm in the store, I'm buying lentil. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jorth, my love..with Master Connor (16) newly turned to the vegetarian diet, I am struggling so would greatly appreciate your recipes. We are managin OK but spend a lot of time (ingredients and money ) on recipes that are not really worth keeping. A personal reccommendation is a total bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant, Jorth! We eat vegetarian too, well vegan actually, apart from some sheep's milk yoghurt. Hubby makes that same joke when we eat dahl. We're new to this though, so I'm looking forward to your recipes!
    x H

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to make this right now, substituting sweet potatoes for 2 of the potatoes, since that's what I have on hand. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks scrumptious...I can't wait to see next week's recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i am a bona fide curry lover plus a well-established lentil fanatic, so this here dish is right up my alley.

    'tis going on next week's menu. bless you, jorthy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So simple, so yummy! I made this for today's lunch (and dinner). The recipe is definitely added to my list of simple and quick meals that don't require my looking into the recipe book all the time. I've been wanting to make a Dahl forever, but somehow I never ended up making it. Your recipe and the fact that we still had some poor potatoes sitting in too much kitchen light made me finally do it.
    We had a very Jorthy kitchen day today and also made the rock cakes you posted a while ago. Also very yummy.
    Keep it going! I'm very much for Food on Friday!
    best, voimani

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent idea! We eat veg too, and it's always good to come across more recipes:)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! Make my day!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.