Monday, November 28, 2011

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...

ChristmasTree1

ChristmasTree2

Er, it's a bit early, isn't it. I couldn't help it, though - I am helpless in the face of tinsel! Couple that with Ella Fitzgerald singing "Let It Snow!", and I am putty in the Christmas Season's hands.

I love all of it: Getting down the box of ornaments from the very top shelf, the oohing and aahing (and occasional groaning) at the sight of forgotten decorations, the bad Christmas playlist as we gather around to decorate the tree, and the magical moment, even after all these years, when the blinds are drawn and the switch is flicked and the Christmas lights douse the room with their festive glow.

But best of all is watching the Tyger. She becomes almost magnetically attached to the tree, and cannot stop herself from touching and rearranging the ornaments. She's been like that since she was a bub - every year you can count on a guilty face as a thoughtfully repositioned glass ball goes smashing to the ground. One year, in fact, she became so over-enthusiastic about showing the tree to a visitor that she actually made the whole tree topple on to the poor girl, whose name, ironically, was Holly. Fear not - nothing was hurt but a bit of pride. And another 6 glass ornaments.
Embarrassing tree-dramas aside, it's a pretty special afternoon. Now that the Tyger is a bit older, we bake biscuits afterwards as the lights flash on and off, and top off it all off with a glass of bubbly (grown ups only, of course!). Sigh - I lurve Christmas traditions. Wanna share yours?

PS If you want to see some pretty cute Lego animation, click on the Let It Snow! link. Since the Tyger received a Lego Advent Calender from her aunty, it felt rather apt!

3 comments:

  1. We put our tree up too! I wasn't too keep on Kev's choice of xmas song that came in the form of a punk rock "let it snow" though, it was a little hard on the ears! ;)

    We made some decorations from kits my mum sent over from the UK, the girls spent an afternoon sticking and cutting, it was lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We put our tree up too! I wasn't too keep on Kev's choice of xmas song that came in the form of a punk rock "let it snow" though, it was a little hard on the ears! ;)

    We made some decorations from kits my mum sent over from the UK, the girls spent an afternoon sticking and cutting, it was lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:31 am

    So very sweet! I love, love, love Christmas decorating day! I love the Lego animation, too. My little guy just made his first one over the weekend so I will have to show this to him.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! Make my day!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.