Monday, August 10, 2009

Pattern review: Vogue 8468


Fabric: $10 special fabric from Tessuti Fabrics

Pattern Description: Vogue 8468 Loose-fitting, A-line, lined dress, mid-knee has self-lined yoke with back button and loop closure, back zipper and stitched hem.

Pattern Sizing: I made the size 8

Did it look like the drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done? Not really, because of course I had to do an alteration or two (cough, cough).

Were the instructions easy to follow: They were easy enough, but I didn't like the construction method used. The pattern instructions call for you to assemble the dress front and back and lining - complete with understitching - prior to adding the sleeve, but this, I feel, creates unnecessary bulk, as you are essentially sewing the sleeve onto a half-finished sleeve opening. If I made this again, I would assemble the dress sans facing, then assemble the lining and then sew the lining to the dress in the usual fashion.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I shortened the dress by 13 cm as it felt too bulky in the fabric I used. I really should have used a lovely soft floaty fabric, which would have looked much better, but what can I say - I loved the fabric, especially the colour, and was determined to make this dress in it.

Once I tried it on I realised that this fabric wasn't quite right for this pattern. In fact, my husband said it looked like a very bad church choir vestment, and then helpfully suggested that I belt out numbers from Sister Act whenever I wore it. After that comment I took to it with the scissors!

I also didn't add the sleeve flares, and increased the sleeve length by 12 cm.

Would you sew this again? Nah. How many church choir dresses does a girl really need?

Conclusion: This dress is growing on me, but I made the mistake of trying to the make the fabric fit the pattern, because I looooooved the colour. As a result, without the belt it's frump city! I'm so sorry, fabric. I did you wrong. I really should have given you a pattern you deserved. Forgive me!

I also made it a wee bit too short. Without the leggings, it's undie city. Not exactly the look I was going for.

Still, with the belt cinching in the waist and the leggings and the cool fuschia colour, it's a pretty darn good rock chick dress. Not what I envisioned, but I'm oddly very happy with it.

And I must say that I'm still in love with the fabric. It's so comfy to wear, and the colour is just incredible. I feel quite glamorous walking around in such a beautiful slinky shade of fuschia!

Now if only I could do something about the dreadful hairdo I'm sporting in the photo. What was I thinking?!?!

6 comments:

  1. A jewel in jewel colours. Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like it! I love the color and really like the way you styled it with leggings and the yellow shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS. Love your new colourful blog look :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look eyecatchingly hip and upbeat! Superb color and style on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:34 pm

    interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! Make my day!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.