Monday, March 31, 2008

Earth Hour


Saturday night found us quietly at home celebrating Earth Hour. At about four in the afternoon, we went around the house and turned off everything bar the fridge, got the candles lit and settled down for a peaceful family evening. Grumbles and Galumph happily built Lego bridges until it was too dark to see any more whilst I read Sense and Sensibility (I felt it was an appropriate low energy reading choice, and spent far too much time daydreaming about what it was like writing it by candlelight as opposed to reading it by candlelight). We then had a low-impact meal of spicy pasta (I wasn't organised enough to make a raw meal, maybe next year, so I cooked the quickest thing I could think of), then sat around reading Grumbles her stories as it became steadily darker around us.

After a while we all began feeling the cold, so we donned jumpers and hats and sat snugly together, listening to the Galumph's hand wind-up radio and nattering about this and that.

Grumbles: Why are the lights off?

Parents: Because we are celebrating a special evening to raise awareness about global warming.

Grumbles: But why are the lights off?

Parents: Because this special event is all about minimising energy consumption, to reduce our impact on the planet.

Grumbles, behoving a sigh as though to say my goodness you people are thick and as soon as I'm older I'm going to deny being even related to you: But.Why.Are.The.Lights.OFF????

I must have remarked on how cosy! and peaceful! and lovely! and did I mention I'm really rather quite enjoying this! far too often as the evening progressed, as the Galumph finally turned to me and said "Are you going to make us do Earth Hour every Saturday night?"

Bwahahahahah! Um, yeah. Maybe?!

2 comments:

  1. Ha....we turned out the lights, and lit candles. That was about as far as we got, lol. The hubby wasn't going for turning off his beloved footy or his computer, and if his was on, ds sure as heck wasn't turning off his; and I *ahem* have a laptop that can run on batteries. :D Dinner was already done by then, so that was easy. We'll see how it goes next year, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Kermit said, "It´s not easy being green!"

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! Make my day!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.